Have you ever tried downloading images from Instagram by either right-clicking on them or long-pressing them (as on phones)? Try it and you will notice that Instagram doesn’t present any option to download images. However, you can still download images from Instagram and view them in full size. Please read through this guide for the procedures.
How to view full-size Instagram photos?
What is Instagram’s policy on images?
Images on Instagram have a certain fixed maximum quality and uploading images higher than that quality won’t necessarily retain their resolution. Other than this, whenever you click on the images, you will not be able to view them in full size. Thirdly, you won’t find any option to download the images.
- View and Download Instagram images in full size for PC
- View and Download Instagram images in medium and thumbnail sizes for PC
- Using the Snapinsta downloader
1] View and Download Instagram images in full size for PC
If you wish to view and download Instagram images in full size, then the procedure is as follows:
- Open the image you wish to view in full size and download it on Instagram on your browser.
- Simply add the append media/?size=l after the image URL.
- For example, if the URL of the image is https://www.instagram.com/p/CqK0Ja6vL1C/, then after adding the suffix, the URL will become https://www.instagram.com/p/CqK0Ja6vL1C/media/?size=l . Hit Enter and you will receive the image in full size.
- Now, if you wish to download this image, then right-click on the image and select Save Image As..
- Select the location and save the image on your system.
This technique will not work for phones as they use an app. However, a workaround can be to copy the link of the Instagram image, copy-paste it to a browser (even your phone browser) and use the same append.
2] View and Download Instagram images in medium and thumbnail sizes for PC
If you wish to view and download the Instagram images in medium and thumbnail sizes for PC, then the procedure will be as follows:
Open the image on Instagram.
Add the following appends (or suffixes) to the URL of the Instagram image and hit Enter after adding them:
For medium sized image: media/?size=m
Eg. If you wish to view and download the following image in medium size - https://www.instagram.com/p/CqK0Ja6vL1C/, then the procedure will be as follows:
- Simply add media/?size=m as append to the URL of the image. The final URL will become https://www.instagram.com/p/CqK0Ja6vL1C/media/?size=m . Hit Enter to view the image in medium size.
- Right-click on the image and select Save Image As..
- Save the image to the location of your choice.
For thumbnail-sized image: media/?size=t
Eg. If the image https://www.instagram.com/p/CqK0Ja6vL1C/ is to be downloaded in thumbnail size, then the procedure to do so will be as follows:
- Add the append media/?size=t to the end of the URL of this image. The final URL will become https://www.instagram.com/p/CqK0Ja6vL1C/media/?size=t . Hit Enter to view this image in thumbnail size.
- Finally, right-click on this image and select Save Image As.
- Save the image at the location of your size on your computer.
One may ask that if Instagram images are already medium in size, why do we need to view them separately. The only reason one might want to do so is to download it onto their computer.
3] Using the Snapinsta downloader
While the above-mentioned technique is useful, it still involves a few steps and has limits. However, the Snapinsta freeware will allow you to download images, videos, reels, etc from Instagram easily. The procedure is as follows:
- Copy the URL of the image, video, or reel from Instagram.
- Go to SnapInsta and select the tab for image, video, or reel accordingly.
- Paste the URL of the Instagram image, video, or reel in the field.
- Click on Download.
- Click on Download Photo, Download Reel, or Download Video.
It should be noted that the Snapinsta downloader application doesn’t allow downloading private images, videos, and reels. However, it is good enough for public ones.
Why doesn’t Instagram allow downloading content?
Initially, the intention of Instagram was to be a platform for sharing personal content (similar to Facebook). It may be very different nowadays as people have started commercializing the platform. Instagram didn’t want people to misuse the images and videos created by other users. Thus, they banned the option to download content.
As of present, a lot of third-party applications are available to download content for Instagram, but the platform hasn’t changed its policy.
How do I download an Instagram app on my PC?
To download the Instagram app on your Windows PC, you can download and install it through the Microsoft Store. While options are available on third-party software-download websites, it is advisable not to use them since they might push malware into your system. The Instagram app can also be downloaded from the Apple Store for Mac PC users.
What are the frame sizes on Instagram?
Instagram uses 3 frame sizes Square, Landscape, and Portrait. The sizes are as follows:
Portrait frame: 1080x1350
Square frame: 1080x1080
Landscape frame: 1080x608
If anything is out of these frame dimensions, you will notice their sides or top/bottom being cut.
I hope this was helpful. Let us know if you need more information to download Instagram photos in hand without any app.