Are you looking for the best way to rearrange your Instagram Story Highlights? We wish Instagram provided a direct way to reorder the sequence of Instagram Highlights. It would be great if you could directly select and reorder your Instagram Story Highlights as per your liking! We will have to wait for Instagram to introduce a feature to reorder your Instagram Highlights directly! But don't worry, because there is a way to reorder your Instagram Story Highlights manually. And once you understand this method, you will be able to arrange your Instagram Story Highlights according to your wishes to make the best use of your Instagram account! Read on to find out how you can rearrange Instagram Highlights in 2022.
Table of Contents
- What are Instagram Highlights?
- How does the ordering of Instagram Highlights work?
- How to add a Story to a Highlight?
- How to remove or delete a story from a Highlight?
- How to rearrange Instagram Highlights in few easy steps
- How to move a Single Highlight to the first position?
- How to rearrange Multiple Highlights in any order as you want?
- Watch our Video Tutorial on How to Rearrange Instagram Highlights!
- Why are Instagram Highlights so important?
- Helpful Tips and Tricks about Instagram Highlights
Everyone loves using Instagram Stories! They are a great way to increase your visibility among your followers. Every time you post an Instagram Story, it appear on top of all your followers' homepage! You can promote your posts, events, sponsored partnerships etc. using Instagram Stories. But there is a downside to Instagram Stories: they expire automatically after 24 hours. While all your expired Instagram Stories can be found in your Archive, they are visible only to you. What about your followers and friends? How can they view your old Instagram Stories? Especially the great ones that you are really proud of? This problem is solved using Instagram Story Highlights, or simply Instagram Highlights.
Instagram Highlights are nothing but a collection of your Instagram Stories which are available permanently on your Instagram profile. Instagram allows its user to showcase these moments to everyone who visits their profile. Story highlight is a great feature of Instagram to display your Instagram Story photos and videos permanently. It allows a user to compile their old stories in a new highlights section that sits right below their Instagram bio. Having your favorite Instagram Stories highlighted on top of your profile is a great feature, especially for those people who love taking photos and videos! But can you move the highlights around? How to change order of instagram highlights? Yes, absolutely! You can change order of highlights on Instagram by following the trick given in the next sections.
NOTE: Your Instagram Stories are automatically saved to a private section of the app called Archive when they expire after 24 hours. You can access your old stories by finding the archive icon on their profile. On the other hand, if you want to display your stories on your profile for your followers, then you must add them to your Instagram highlights!
The Instagram Story highlights are arranged in a chronological order. When you add a story to a given highlight, that particular highlight is automatically moved to the beginning of your highlights list. So if you want to reorder your Instagram story highlights, say you want to move a particular highlight to the front or beginning of the list, you can do it by adding a Story to that highlight. Then you can delete that story if it is not required. That highlight will remain in the first position even after you have removed the story. To learn more about how to add a story to a highlight, or remove it, read on!
To add a story to your Instagram highlights,
- Tap and hold the highlight bubble of the highlight you want to add a story to.
- Choose Edit highlight.
- Go to Archive or your Gallery.
- Select any Instagram story from archive or photo from gallery.
- You can also do this process from any Story. Just open the Story and use the Highlight icon as shown below.
- Then select the Highlight to which you want to add the Story.
- You will receive a confirmation that the Story has been added to the selected Highlight.
- Go to your profile. The Highlight you just added the Story to has moved to the first position!
NOTE: You can select any Instagram story for adding to a highlight to rearrange it to the first position. This is because you can remove it immediately afterwards, without affecting the order of Instagram Story Highlights. Your selected Highlight will remain in the first position even after that Instagram story is deleted or removed from the Highlight!
To remove or delete a story from a highlight,
- Tap and hold the highlight bubble of the highlight you want to delete a story from.
- Choose Edit highlight.
- Move to the bottom.
- Uncheck the story you want to remove. This way the story no longer appears in your highlights!
When you think about it, it's quite natural for users to desire to rearrange or reorder their Instagram story highlights in a particular way or order they want. But Instagram does not have a feature to make that happen at the moment. So how can I edit the order of my highlights, how do I move my highlights on Instagram, you ask? Don't worry, as we will show you how you can rearrange single and multiple highlights on Instagram in the correct order as you want!
Thus, it is very simple to move a given Instagram Story Highlight to the front of your list. But what if you wanted to rearrange multiple highlights in a given order? You can do that by using the above technique multiple times! The trick to remember is that Instagram will push the most recently changed Highlight to the first position. Therefore, you need to plan your moves in the reverse order!
Add a story first to the Instagram Highlight you want to move to the last position. Then add a story to the Instagram Highlight you want to move to the second-last position, and so on! Once you have reached the first position, you can go back to every Instagram Highlight and remove the placeholder story without affecting their new order!
While this technique is a workaround, it works like magic and is very effective if you really want to be in control of how your Instagram Story Highlights appear on your profile!
Was the above explanation of the technique clear? If not, read the following instructions, and try arranging the story highlights on your Instagram profile using the Instagram Android app or iPhone app. You can also watch the video tutorial given below for more clarity!
The steps below explain the techniques for Rearranging a Single Instagram Story Highlight to the first position!
- Let's consider five highlights on your profile say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & you want to rearrange it like 5, 1, 2, 3, 4. In other words, highlight '5' is the highlight you want to make first in your highlights list.
- Then simply go to your Story --> add 'new story' to your profile with any temporary image (which you can remove after).
- Add that story to highlight '2' which you want to move to the 1st position on your Instagram profile.
- You can delete a recently posted story from your profile immediately so that no one can see it.
- Go to your profile and you will see your highlight is arranged like 5, 1, 2, 3, 4.
You just need to follow these steps logically, and you will see that it is quite easy to sort your Instagram Highlights in your desired order:
- Let's consider you have five highlights on your profile say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & you want to rearrange it like 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
- Then simply go to your Story --> add 'new story' to your profile with any temporary image (which you can remove after). We can also call this as "placeholder story", since it's purpose is only to reorder your Instagram highlights.
- Now, our final desired order is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. So, Highlight '1' is the highlight you want to move to the last position in our final order. You don't have to do anything to it to reorder your Instagram highlights.
- Highlight '2' is the highlight you want to move to the fourth in our final order. First add that placeholder story to the highlight '2'. It will go to the 1st position on your Instagram profile. With this step, you were able to reorder your Instagram highlights in the sequence: 2, 1, 3, 4, 5. We will continue with this same logic in our next steps.
- Highlight '3' is the highlight you want to move to the third position. So next, add the placeholder story to the highlight '3'. Now, '3' will go to the 1st position. Your highlights order: 3, 2, 1, 4, 5.
- Highlight '4' is the highlight you want to move to the second position. So next, add the placeholder story to the highlight '4'. Now, '4' moves to the 1st position. Your highlights order: 4, 3, 2, 1, 5.
- Highlight '5' is the highlight you want to move to the first position. So finally, add the placeholder story to the highlight '5'. This moves '5' to the 1st position, and your highlights are in the final order that you desired: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!
- You can delete all the instances of this placeholder story from each of your highlight. This will not affect the new order of your Instagram highlights.
In the following video, we demonstrate you step-by-step instruction how to reorder your Instagram highlights.
Instagram Story Highlights has great features that benefit its users in various ways. For personal use, it helps users to compile their best stories in thematic collections placed right under their Insta bio to showcase their life, personality & interests to their followers. They can also add their stories to highlights to serve as a future reference.
Allowing you to introduce your business to the public. It helps you inform people as well as potential customers about your business. Instagram highlights can specialize in branding and website designs by showing the previous work so people can get a quick view of the business. Instagram story highlights are a great way to present your portfolio to the prospective customers!
Instagram highlights can also be a great option for you as a business owner, to display all your freebies. For example, you can use Instagram stories to link to Blog posts or web pages that are helpful in promoting your business. Remember, the content that you will be putting out there for your audience has to connect with their needs. The information from your business that you want to tell your audience can be packaged smartly into the stories you add to your Highlights. Instagram story highlights can be the key to save & store informative posts that have evergreen value for your audience and followers.
You can promote your business using these Instagram highlights, for promotional events, upcoming product launches and meet ups with potential customers.
You can also share updates on what’s happening in your business. You can share great promos and ads for your products, services, sales campaigns, fundraisers, etc. The content strategy depends on what business or service you are offering to your potential customers. Instagram story highlights could be an easy way to market and advertise it to the general public.
Instagram story highlights help you to save your 24-hour stories. It is helpful to those people who love to save and cherish their precious moments as memories on social media.
- Editing your Highlight Cover image: Choosing the right image as your Highlight Cover Image can go a long way. The cover image serves as the introduction to that highlight! Instagram allows you to edit highlight cover image. You just need to go to a Highlight and click More. Then, you are given many options to optimize the cover image. Just click Edit highlight and then Edit Cover. While editing your cover image, remember that you can always pinch, zoom and drag to reposition the image. Thus, you can customize the final appearance of the cover image.
- Naming your highlights: You can set and Edit highlight Title of your Instagram Story Highlights. But because the area is limited and small, your highlights name may consist of 8-10 characters only. So you must use your creativity to think of something that is short and sweet, yet descriptive. You can also use emojis in your Instagram Highlights Title to make the best use of the limited space! To edit Highlight Title, go to the More menu of your highlight, type the name you want to give under the Title, and then click Done.
- Adding and removing frames from your highlight: Instagram provides some options to put decorative frames on your highlights. This is similar to having photo frames to showcase a good photo. You can do this by heading to the More button and click Edit highlight. You can choose if you want to have a frame and then select a good frame. Or you can remove the frame from your Instagram highlights to keep it simple.
- Merging highlights: Users want this feature to save their time. They ask the question: Can I merge highlights on Instagram? Instagram does not provide a simple method of merging several highlights together. But you can organize your highlights manually. To merge one highlight with another, you can open the first highlight, select a story one-by-one, and send it to the other highlight. Then later, you can delete the first highlight if you wish. In this way, the second highlight now has all the stories from both the highlights. So next time someone asks you: how can you merge highlights on Instagram? Tell them to merge highlights in this manner.
Instagram Stories have their powerful uses for reaching audience quickly and frequently. But they have a major limitation: they expire automatically after 24 hours and get dumped in your Stories Archive. But by adding your Stories to Highlights, you can reuse them both for creativity and profit, and continue deriving value from your best content for a long time. Instagram does not have a native feature to simply rearrange Instagram Highlights. This can feel limiting to many users who want to move or order their highlights in a particular sequence. More features are required to be added to help users edit highlight in ways they wish. Hence, Instagram users are looking for hacks to rearrange or reorder their highlights. Have you tried to reorder your Instagram posts on your profile and the stories in your highlights?
By following our instructions for rearranging highlights, you can easily reorder your Instagram Highlights exactly as you want. Thus, there is no limit to how creative you can get in your storytelling using your Instagram account! The best thing about Instagram Story Highlights is that they appear right under your bio, and can contain photos, videos, animations, links, and descriptive text. Instagram Highlights can be a powerful tool to impress your followers, attract potential customers, and promote your business brand effectively. Thus it serves as an important feature for content creators, influencers, vloggers, and business owners.
All Instagram users must learn to make the best use of Instagram Story Highlights by following all the tips and tricks in this article! Let us know in the comments if our article helped to solve your problem of rearranging Instagram Highlights. How easy was it to reorder your Instagram highlights? You can also share your Instagram profiles and tell us how you are using the Instagram Story Highlights feature to promote yourself and your business in the best way possible!