After year 2000-2002 Internet and eventually WWW(world wide web) growing rapidly all over the world,which make us to get variety of information through web on Single-click. Though we are connected to entire world sharing of document and data also come into pictures,which enables to start of most online file sharing services like RapidShare,Hotfile, MediaFire, FileSonic etc.
Day by day technology changes and quality and performance of every web-application goes up and up and up ,still up going upward.But to attract more number of user and clients and to increase QoS(Quality Of Service ) most of companis migrated to new concept called Web Operating Systems,people invent new words to describe its features and applications. Sometimes, a term gains widespread acceptance even if some people believe it’s misleading or inaccurate. Such is the case with Web operating systems or virtual desktops.
An operating system (OS) is a special kind of program that organizes and handle computer hardware and software Behaviour. Operating systems interact directly with computer hardware and give a specific instructions to applications to serve as a platform for other applications. OS might be Windows, Linux, Unix or Mac OS X etc
A Web OS is a user interface (UI) that allows people to access applications stored completely or in part on the Web via their browser. It might provide the user interface of traditional computer operating systems like Windows, but it doesn’t interact directly with the computer’s hardware. The user must still have a traditional OS on his or her computer. but the beauty of this is it can run high end applications on remote machine and shows the output to client machine thought its doesn’t meet required configuration to run particular software.
Now a days there are variety of WebOs are available and you will find out that some of them have already reached a good level of implementation, while others are still at their early stages. While reviewing these Os and their services I have identified the following points and traits for comparison:
- Open API: is a word used to describe sets of technologies that enable websites to interact with each other by using different web technologies.
- Open-source:In general, open source refers to any program whose source code is made available for use or modification as users or other developers see fit. Open source software is usually developed as a public collaboration and made freely available.
- Integrated apps: In this most of basic application of traditional OS is integrated in Webos.
- Mini-Browser: A light weight browser for WebOS.
- Online Games: Multi-player games within the WebOS.
- File-Storage: Amount of file or data storage available on webOS.
Following are Some types of WebOS available and I personally use them.
Many other WebOs are available, you can try them also!
Note: To use all this Web OS you need good internet connectivity and speed for better performance and experience.
Saurabh Mukhekar is a Tech Blogger from Pune, India. He is also thinker, maker, life long learner, hybrid developer, edupreneur, mover & shaker. He’s captain planet of BlogSaays and seemingly best described in rhyme.
Follow Him On Facebook