How to Send Large Video File Using WhatsApp
The WhatsApp messaging service can be useful for staying in touch with friends, but its 16MB size limit on videos can be frustrating. If you have to send a large video file using WhatsApp (larger than 16MB), you'll need to split it into smaller parts to be able to send it via WhatsApp. In this post, we will show you how to send large video files (16MB+) without splitting it using WhatsApp.
WhatsApp has significantly improved the way we communicate and especially the sharing of multimedia messages. Since being introduced, the app took over where Messenger had seemingly succeeded and became the app of convenience that we all never knew we needed. Sharing multimedia content with friends, especially as the events are happening or right afterward, has made life more interesting and sharing easier.
However, WhatsApp limits the file size to 16 MB for each multimedia file shared. There is a way of bypassing this size limit and managing to send videos that are larger than 16 MB via WhatsApp.
How to Send Large Video File Using Whatsapp
To send a large video file using Whatsapp, see the two outlined methods below.
- Upload video file as DOCUMENT in WhatsApp (Max 100mb)
- Upload file to WeTransfer.com (Max 2GB) and share link
Let’s take a look at the description of these two methods.
1] Upload video file as DOCUMENT in WhatsApp (Max 100mb)
As with document uploads, WhatsApp allows files to be picked from other third-party apps that implement the Document Provider extension.
The below steps demonstrate how to share large photos, music, and videos on WhatsApp, using the Documents app in iOS.
- Download and install the Documents app from the App Store.
- Import the large file (less than 128 MB) that you want to share on WhatsApp, into the Documents app’s file storage, via the Share menu, iTunes, or any other suitable means.
- Open WhatsApp and select the conversation where you want to share the file.
- Tap on the ‘+’ icon next to the chat bubble and select the Document.
- You should now see a list of apps that implement the Document Provider extension, in which the Documents app should be present. If it’s not, tap on ‘More…’ at the bottom of the list and ensure that the toggle next to the Documents app is enabled.
- Select the Documents app from the list of third-party apps and choose the desired file from its in-app storage.
- Once you select the file, tap OK on the confirmation prompt.
If you are using Android then follow these 3 steps:
1. Open conversation->attachment-> Document
2. Select the large video (100MB max) from the file browser.
3. Send this file to the recipient.
The selected file will now be uploaded to WhatsApp, available for the recipient to download irrespective of the platform he’s on. The file size should be less than 128 MB. If a larger file is shared, a pop up will be displayed, notifying you that you can only share “documents” up to 128 MB in size.
2] Upload file to WeTransfer.com (Max 2GB) and share link
WeTransfer is one of the most used file-sharing solutions. Along with the simplicity of usage, WeTransfer lets the users share large files of almost any format. With the free service, you can share the files up to 2 GB over WeTransfer at a time, which is way more than most of the traditional email attachment size. The paid version of the service permits the sharing of files up to 20 GB in one go.
To upload a file to WeTransfer and share the link, do the following:
- Open a browser on the computer where the file is located.
- Click on Add Files. Locate the file that you want to upload and click open.
- Click on Your Email and add your email address.
- Click on Transfer. This will upload your file and you will receive an email from WeTransfer with a download link (remember it remain 7 days there) to download the file.
- Open your email and find the download link.
- Copy the download link from email (you can now share this link with anyone) and paste it into your WhatsApp conversation.
- Ask the recipient to click on Download to download the file.