The world online has borne a set of criminals armed with a new breed of weaponry: coding, hacking and psychological techniques. Cybercrime is an online offense committed by hackers, crackers, and other malicious types that use the Internet to steal identities, hijack PCs, illegally spam, phish and pharm and commit other types of fraud. Cybercrime is a growing problem that negatively impacts everyone. Identity thieves and hackers target home computers because they know families often do not maintain adequate security protection on their PCs. This makes these family users easy, lucrative marks.
Five easy ways to protect yourself from cybercrime
1. Be wary of phishing scams:
Phishing scams are on the rise. To protect against identity thieves, you should never directly respond to emails seeking personal information. Questionable messages should be verified by contacting the institution directly. Another way to protect against phishing is to give an incorrect password on the first try. A phishing site will accept an incorrect password, while a legitimate site won’t.
2. Don’t leave your wireless network unsecured.
Since your wireless network’s radio waves travel through walls, a hacker with a simple antenna could attack you from miles away to steal your information or to launch attacks from your PC.
3. Don’t download files or click hyperlinks sent to you by strangers:
Additionally be wary when downloading files from friends and family. You can obtain a virus, worm, or Trojan simply by accepting files from your friends, family, or strangers.
4. Set secure passwords:
Avoid using birthdays and initials. Cracking programs can guess passwords very quickly. To combat this, use as many characters as possible, include uppercase and lowercase letters, digits and punctuation marks.
5. Fortify your computer with strong security software and keep it up to date.
6. Use security software:
When it comes down to it, one of the best ways to protect your information against cybercrime is to use security software. For example, Mac Antivirus software protects your Mac products from viruses, hackers and spyware and also detects malware, spyware, and phishing attempts. Cybercrime can be devastating. Victims can spend years cleaning up the mess, all the while in danger of losing not just their money but also their name and reputation, with jail time being a real possibility. It’s important to maintain a solid defense against cybercrime by investing in up-to-date security protection and being vigilant when sharing your personal information on the Internet.
How do you protect your devices against cybercrime?
Special offer for the readers of Blog Saays
McAfee Internet Security 2014
Comprehensive. Most effective protection against virus and online threats.*
- Exclusive McAfee Active Protection technology provides instant protection and the highest detection rates against today’s threats.
- McAfee SiteAdvisor® helps you know whether a website is safe before you click; provides site ratings in 22 popular search engines.
- Parental Controls allow you to effectively manage your children’s online usage.
- Online File Backup takes the hassle out of manually saving files (1GB of storage).